Monday, January 30, 2012

Okay, here we are. Another area, another internet cafe, another . . . everything.

It has been interesting to be in Mussurunga because it is incredibly close to Stell Maris/ItapuĆ£. So it's kinda like this flashback, but I am a different person and a different missionary, and this week I've kinda been getting over that.

It has been pretty warm (I can't believe my body is capable of sweating so much) - it was 40 degrees C [104 degrees F] the first day. Yup, pretty warm. but it's been pretty. I do rather love the Salvador climate.

Sister Ferreira is . . . great. She is adorably fastidious. She is 31 and is so glad to be on a mission. She likes everything just so, and I am just benefiting from the good side of that. I'll admit I was a little anxious to be here with her, but it has turned out being great, and I think we're going to do lots of great things.

Speaking of which, this past week was interesting. Kind of a shock to the system. I am not used to teaching children. I am not used to people pushing numbers. I am not used to being so. Incredibly. Sweaty. But I'm glad that I learned how to think/evaluate and to act with Sister Petersen. There are lots of things that need to be done (strengthen . . . ALL the recent converts here, get the ward started to be involved in the work etc.) I feel like there has been a lot of opportunity to maximize a stewardship here. I am here NOT because I am whatever sister missionary - I am Sister Cornwall, the sister that has had the most casamentos [weddings/marriages] (and we've got a few more lined up already. I think missionaries here are scared of marriages because they can get a little complicated, and delay a bit. but hey, Sister Cornwall isn't scared of that.) I have realized that there are incredible works to be done beyond just baptizing. I know, blasphemy. But sincerely, something needs to change in this situation. And I am so glad that we can do it.

I am also glad that I never have to travel with suitcases on a bus again. Oh gosh. It was just like any hilarious scene on a movie. Next time, we're going to take a taxi.

I saw the sea today. It was just so lovely. I am grateful to be learning. To be self sufficient in improving myself in this gospel. It is great.

I love you all, dearly,
Sister Cornwall

p.s. Perhaps some readers would be interested in some insights from the other side of Sister Cornwall's companionship with Sister Peterson (and a few more details than we usually get from the aforementioned Sister C.) Click the links below to Sister Peterson's blog...
Dec. 19, 2011
Jan. 09, 2012
Jan. 16, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment